We can't say thank you enough to everyone who donated to Give to Lincoln Day yesterday on our behalf. But we can offer a small token of our thanks. Those who donated at least $20 to DSAA Ne is eligible to receive your choice of Lucky Few inspired necklace or earrings. The the styles to choose from are as follows:
Today is Give to Lincoln Day. DSAA Ne is proud to participate in this event. Giving to a good cause such as ours has the power to make you feel good. But what if you could get a little something for yourself. Well this year you can! Fundraising team Ben's Brigade is offering a Lucky Few inspired necklace or earrings to every donor that gives at least $20 to DSAA Ne on Give to Lincoln Day. So why not give a little and get a little? Thank you to everyone who has already donated to DSAA. Be looking for your email on how to get your necklace or earrings on Friday. #givetolincoln #dsaane #thelucyfew
The Lucky Few—Last fall a few Moms were at a conference discussing ways to connect the greater Down syndrome community. One mom told of a dream she had where she had a tattoo with three arrows. The others agreed that the 3 arrows are a good representation of Down syndrome and how we all naturally stretch our comfort zones before we spring forward and grow as parents of a child with an extra chromosome. That day the lucky tattoo movement was born and parents across the country have embraced the movement with hundreds if not thousands of people getting the tattoo.
DSAA NE recognizes and supports this movement, but realize that not everyone is a fan of getting tattoos. DSAA mom and vice president Angie Willey designed a few different styles of Lucky Few necklaces, car decals and t-shirts as a way to support the solidarity of the movement without dealing with needles.. To date necklaces have been shipped to over 30 different states and the proceeds are being donated to local or national Down syndrome charities, with the majority going to DSAA Nebraska. We thank her for her generosity. You can see all the fun awareness items that she has made at Ben's Brigade website. #theluckyfew, #nothingdownaboutit #Downsyndrome #t21
Thank you to everyone who came out to support the Down Syndrome Community at the 2018 Star City Buddy Walk. We had a great turnout and lots of fun too. While our total is just short of our fund raising goal, the amount we were able to raise was double that of what we did last year. We also doubled the number of walkers from last year. As a 100% volunteer organization our dollars can go much farther to help advocate for individuals with Down syndrome in our community. We appreciate everyone's support!
Congratulations to team Little Rey of Sunshine for winning top walker and coming in 2nd place for fundraising, team Ben's Brigade for winning top fundraising and coming in second place for number of walkers, and to team Karing for Kayleigh that took 3rd place honors in both walkers and fundraisers!
We look forward to continuing to grow the Buddy Walk every year. It is important to us that every who is touched by Down syndrome in our community is included and given a special day where they are celebrated. Everyone is welcome!
We hope you can join us for the 2018 Star City Buddy Walk. We will have lots of fun raising awareness and funds to help support our education and advocacy efforts here in Nebraska. Use the button below to go to the Star City Buddy Walk Website to register or donate.
It has been 9 years since a Buddy Walk has been held in Lincoln Nebraska, and we are excited to be bringing an official Buddy Walk back to the area in 2018. The Buddy Walk is being held on March 17th at Gateway Mall in Lincoln, and will allow families to spread awareness, have fun, win prizes and hopefully raise a little money too. Here are 7 reasons why you should consider supporting the 2018 Star City Buddy Walk.
1. It is Indoor! By walking inside Gateway Mall we get to do something that very few other walks around can do - guarantee a comfortable walking environment. The mall allows walkers the ability to shed their coats and wear their walk shirt with pride so that everyone in the community that comes to the mall that day can see that we support the Nebraska Down syndrome community.
2. It is an Open House. - As parents of children with Down syndrome we understand that Saturdays are busy and that large crowds can cause stress for some of our loved ones. By allowing walkers to walk anytime between 8 am and noon, we can allow families to come before the mall crowds arrive, fit an awareness activity into their hectic Saturday schedules, and spread awareness over a longer period of time.
3. We need to Spread Awareness, Every. Chance. We. Get. Comedians and video streaming services that feel it is OK to get a laugh and make money at the expense of people with an extra chromosome, Independent sellers mocking people with special needs. Kids being bullied at schools. People making inappropriate comments on feel good news stories involving Individuals with Down syndrome. These are all recent examples of why our advocacy efforts are needed. Individuals with Down syndrome are valuable members of society and by participating in awareness events, we can help educate others about the many strengths, abilities and gifts of those in the Trisomy 21 community. As our shirt logo says, Be the Change, because we are Lucky and Blessed!
4. Inclusion- For many of us inclusion is a daily battle that we fight in our schools and communities. One of our goals for the Star City Buddy Walk is to make sure that every family in the Nebraska Down syndrome community feels welcome and included at the Buddy Walk. It is important that we take this opportunity to advocate and spread awareness. Our registered VIP guests with Down syndrome get a free Buddy Walk t-shirt. Family members walking with them can come for free or order their own buddy walk shirt for just $15 ($18 shipped). Those who walk wearing Star City Buddy Walk t-shirts can earn raffle tickets by walking to try to win some great raffle prizes. Some of the prizes include a 4 Night 5 Day stay in Branson, Mo, a Down syndrome awareness basket, a family 4 pack of tickets to the Lincoln Children's Zoo, a Signing Time basket, restaurant gift cards and more. Walkers who earn raffle tickets can choose which prizes they want to try to win.
5. World Down Syndrome Day- We host our walk every year in March in Honor of World Down syndrome Day. March 21st, is a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012. The date for WDSD being the 21st day of the 3rd month, was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
6. St. Patrick's Day- This year our walk fell on St. Patrick's Day and we can't think of a better way to celebrate than to also honor our loved ones with Down syndrome.
7. Programming- While raising positive awareness about Down syndrome is the main goal of our walk, we are also a 501(c)(3) recognized non-profit who relies on donations from the community to help fund our advocacy efforts. Supporting our organization will help us continue to provide families with IEP Support, a Resource Library, Family Connections Events, New Parent and Medical Outreach, Advocacy Alerts and more We hope you will consider supporting our important work and mission.
Supporting Star City Buddy Walk is easy and there are many way you can help. You can register or donate on our website, form a team, walk as part of the general event or to just learn more about this fun, inclusive awareness walk. To share the fun with others, please print or share this .pdf flyer. Would you like a flyer that features your loved one with Down syndrome? We can do that too. Contact us to find out more. You can also donate in person at the event. We hope you will support the 2018 Star City Buddy Walk and celebrate those in the Nebraska Down syndrome community this March!
This design is a great conversation starter. However, we understand and can related to parents who want to be part of the movement, but are not really comfortable with the thought of getting a tattoo. This year we have included the Lucy Few arrows on the Buddy Walk T-shirt. Our walk is going to be held on St. Patrick's Day, and we are going to have so much fun walking and spreading awareness wearing this shirt. Those who walk wearing a shirt will also be eligible to earn raffle tickets to win some awesome prizes. Register by March 2nd to be ensure you get a shirt.
.Contest #2 is going on now until February 3rd. Every team that adds new members, (including new teams) will be entered into a drawing to win a #theluckyfewnecklace. donated by Ben's Brigade. Get one entry for every new team member added. Go to Star City Buddy Walk to get registered. See more necklaces styles by clicking here.
The 2017 Star City Buddy Walk hosted by The Down Syndrome Advocates in Action (DSAA NE) will take place at Gateway Mall on Saturday, March 17th 2018! This is the largest annual fundraising and awareness event hosted by DSAA NE . The Buddy Walk was established in 1995 by the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. This year’s event will take place near the Food Court at Gateway Mall and will feature games, and fun for all of the walkers who support the Nebraska Down syndrome community
If you are not already familiar with DSAA NE, it is a growing nonprofit 501c (3) organization founded 2 years ago to respond to the needs of families of loved ones with Down syndrome here in Nebraska! Our organization’s mission is to advocate for the value, acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. We actively pursue inclusion of individuals who have Down syndrome in all areas of life so they embrace opportunities to contribute and be valued members of society.
To fulfill this mission of advocacy, DSAA NE relies on community support, generous contributions from local businesses, and volunteer-based fundraising activities. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Many of our supporters have found that participating in the Buddy Walk is a great way to give back to an important cause and demonstrates their sincere belief in the future of the local community.
Walkers can walk as part of the general event, create teams and even fund raise. Use the button below to go to the Buddy Walk website. Thank you for your support! .
We are proud to have worked with 10/11 Now to create this Public Service Announcement. We would like to thank Sara F,, Paul S,. and Jamie A. for rocking their speaking parts and all the families who submitted photos to be included in the PSA. We think 10/11 did a great job of creating and editing the 30 second spot that will air all month on their station. Thank you to everyone who had a hand in spreading awareness across the state of Nebraska this October! Click here to see the PSA.
Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month! Each day during October we will be posting one of the posters from our awareness poster campaign. Posters are being displayed across Nebraska.
Meet Paul who is a young adult with a very active social life. He can often be found playing basketball,and tennis, and he walks regularly for exercise. Paul enjoys painting, playing the baritone and bowling. He works at a local grocery store and often has a smile on his face. Paul is a good friend to many and has many good friends of his own.
Individuals can sponsor a poster for as little as $10. Click here to sponsor a poster.
Down Syndrome Advocates in Action Nebraska, is a group for parents run by parents.